Thursday, September 8, 2016

Museum day in Barcelona

Casa Mila by Antonio Guadi
Barcelona is a city with a great number of museums so every time I visit Barcelona it seems I find another museum or house to visit and this trip was no exception. Thanks to the Bacelona tourism bureau I discovered a couple of new museums, then saw a banner hanging from a street light that alerted me to another unique niche museum. I had visited Casa Mila pictured above, and at 20.50€ It wasn't on the list this year. But I did pause to take the photo to share with you.


The first museum on my list was the Museu del Modernisme. If contained an excellent collection from the period. If back in the day you had a modernist architect design your home, then chances were he also designed some of the furnishing for it as well. The photo above is just a taste of what I saw. There were some incredible pieces of furniture in the collection including pieces designed by Gaudi for Casa Batllo.

There was one floor that was devoted to art which had some really nice vintage posters. There were also some sculptures and paintings. It was interesting that the paintings were displayed in a slightly darkened space and the paintings were spotlighted with filters that lit just the art, not the frame or surrounding area. I haven't seen this done before and it really directs all of your interest towards the painting.
Casa Punxes by Joseph Puig i Cadafalch

Up next was Casa punxes, another modernist building that I have admired in the past. When I saw that it now had a museum that you could visit, I thought it would be good to see the inside of the building. The good news was that yes I got in, but the bad news was you really didn't get to see the house. It turned out that the museum was an audio visual show that explained the story of St. George (Jordi in Catalan.) the show was interesting with the head set playing as you are led through the museum by doors that automatically open as you go through.

The museum did include entrance to the roof so you could enter the seven towers. Each tower contained a theme related to the building.



From there I headed up to see the first home designed by Gaudi. As I headed up the street toward it it looked interesting. As i got closer I realized that what I was seeing was not the building, but intead I was viewing a cover that had been erected to cover scaffolding as they reconstruct the building. Guess I will have to make another trip to Barcelona to see the finished house.






No comments:

Post a Comment