| Display case at la Pastisseria |
way out to the airport. While that might have been the easiest way to get into the city, I opted totakethe shuttle bus to the next terminal where I could catch the train. The metro would have been 4.90€but on the train I can use a T-10 metro ticket, 10 rides for 9.95€. My hotel then was just a short walkfrom the station. After a quick shower and change I was off to the metro.
My first stop was to check the construction progress at Sagrada Familia which put me very close to
my favorite pastry shop, la Pastisseria. All that travel I had been doing needed to be rewarded so I
chose a La Rosa de Sant Jordi from the case and ordered a cappuccino.
Now that I was properly nourished, I could continue on my way. Barcelona is a great city to
explore on foot. It seems that where ever you look there is something new to see. I wandered past Casa Batilo, a modernist building by Gaudi and stopped in to Casa AmAmatller next door to check out the lobby and purchase some chocolate. Casa Amatller is another great modernist design by
Josep Puig i Cadafalch that was built for Antonio Amatller, a chocolate maker. I purchased a nice
box of truffles with a cava (Spanish champagne) filling.
From there I headed down to the visitor center to pick up brochures. As I headed there I made a pit stop at Dino, one of the many ice cream shops. But not just any ice cream shop, this branch of
Dino is one that I can count on to carry Roquefort walnut ice cream. Probably not something for everyone, but definitely for me.
From there I headed thru the Bari Gothic, the old part of Barcelona to the Cathedral. My shorts were apparently of sufficient length and modesty to get me past the door guard who was turning many people away.
After a bit more walking in the Bari Gothic it was time to head back to the hotel. Dinner was a coupon special chicken with peppers sandwich, fries and a soda close to the hotel. Then to bed for a good nights rest since I slept very little on the plane.
Thank goodness you ended with the Roquefort ice cream. All of those pastry pics were provoking an evil appetite within me. The ice cream shut that down fast! LOL
ReplyDelete